Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 white onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 1/2 Tsp Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/8 Tsp cayenne
- 1 Tsp Warn Reserve Orange bitters
- pinch of ground cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1/2 cup canned (unsweetened) coconut milk
Add vegetable stock, garlic, carrot, apple, butternut squash, sage, onion, salt, pepper, cayenne, cinnamon and nutmeg to a large stock pot. Toss to combine. Cook on medium-high until the mixture reaches a simmer. Then cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the vegetables are all tender and mash easily with a fork.
Remove and discard the sage. Stir in the coconut milk, brown sugar and bitters.
Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. (Or transfer the soup in two batches into a traditional blender and puree until smooth, being extremely careful not to fill the blender too full with a hot liquid.) Taste, and season with additional bitters, salt, pepper and cayenne as needed.